POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : opaque textures : Re: opaque textures Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:20:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: opaque textures
From: Fabian Brau
Date: 1 Dec 1999 04:29:11
Message: <3844EAEB.7ADC1491@umh.ac.be>
Hello,

Transparency: you see perfectly well the shape of the object but more or
less bright, clearly (sorry but english is not my language so I cannot
always say exactly what I think :)). This is like sunny glasses! this is
transparency but the glasses can be more or less transparent but you
will always see the object perflectly (the shape of the object will be
the same with or without the glasses). A tranparent object just change
the quantity of light you will received (ok if ior != 1 so the shape of
the object is modified, but for this discution suppose ior = 1, because
this is not the purpose here).

Translucency: the light is scattered. For example, imagine a light
behing something which is translucent. So you will see that there are
something luminous behind the object but you cannot tell and see the
shape of the object. Many lamp have something (I don't know the word)
translucent to not see directly the light.

Example: a simple sheet of paper is translucent, not transparent. Glass
(even dark brown glass) is transparent.

I think that translucent object is difficult to do. Any clue?

Thanks